Re: More feedback

On Thu, Dec 13, 2001 at 01:11:02AM -0500, Colin Walters wrote:
> Chris Tillman <tillman@azstarnet.com> writes:
>
> > I tried the new-powermac installer again, and found it can't mount
> > hfs disks. I wonder if busybox code is incompatible with the 2.4
> > kernel on this, or maybe it was because I was trying an ext3
> > install.
>
> Mmm...I built HFS support as a module in that kernel.  Could that have
> been the problem?
>
> > I tried hmount from another partition, but it didn't work because of
> > the library reduction.
>
> If the h* tools use the kernel HFS support at all, and the module
> wasn't loaded, this could have been the problem.  Or do you know for
> sure the library reduction busted the h* tools somehow?

Dunno. But all the external programs I tried, even shutdown, gave me
the same GLIBC_2.0 .so message. I figured it was missing libraries.

> Yeah.  At least for NewWorld PowerMacs, pretty much no one uses
> floppies.
>
> > I'm sure a bigger-than-floppy-size root.bin could be booted straight
> > from the hard disk on powermacs; so you wouldn't really even need to
> > shoehorn stuff into an iso. Download and go.
>
> Yeah.  But personally, I don't like the assumption that one already
> has an operating system on the machine, or that if there is one that
> people know how to use it.  Still though, it is generally a practical
> assumption to make.

Very true. More and more people are buying Apples for the quality,
with no intention of using MacOS.

|            Chris Tillman        tillman@azstarnet.com          |