Re: Debian Won't Install! (System Locks Up)

On Wed, Dec 12, 2001 at 08:17:03PM -0800, Mark Seven Smith wrote:
> On Wednesday 12 December 2001 07:40 pm, Chris Tillman wrote:
>
> <SNIP!>

All very frustrating.

Perhaps, if you're serious about installing without the installer, you
could dig into archives.debian.org. It's just, well I'm a little
familiar with the workings of the installer, and I'm just familiar
enough to know it really takes care of a LOT of stuff under the
hood. One guy that knows something about doing it the 'hard' way would
be Andrew Korn (lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2001/debian-boot-200112/msg00196.html).

In fact, that's another interesting science project you could do, is dive
into cvs.debian.org/boot-floppies. The one thing you can say about
Debian, with complete source code, is that if you want to find out how
something's done, "it's in there".

Basically, the installer provides a partitioning utility (you probably
don't need that), a very basic Linux system (you could probably use
your RH system instead), and it sets up the new system in /target
using a chroot as needed. The 3rd part is really the key for you, but
it's much easier said than done, I fear.

Do you have any external drives? You could install using another
computer on that drive and then hook up the drive.

|            Chris Tillman        tillman@azstarnet.com          |