Re: fallback to single language when fbcon not available

In message <[🔎] 20011127123427.D1539@melina.ds14.agh.edu.pl>, Marcin Owsiany writes
:
>The messages are in UTF-8, and I guess that when printed on a non-UTF-8
>terminal, they mangle the display.
>
>I think we would either need a non-UTF-8 versions of messages or some subset
>of recode/iconv as well as apropriate fonts on the floppies to be able
>to fall back...

Oh right, yeah.  I think the best we can do is have dbootstrap force the language
to English (without offering the chooser) if it was built with LC on but detects
a non-UTF8 locale at run time.  I think all the English messages are just 7-bit
ASCII so even the "UTF8" versions should display properly without a bterm.
I'll see if I can cook something up this evening.

Ideally you'd want it to recode to ISO8859-1 or whatever character set at runtime
under these conditions, but I don't think that's realistic given the amount of
time we have to work on it and the space situation on the root disk.

p.