Re: Translation statistics

Kjetil Torgrim Homme <kjetilho@linpro.no> wrote in message
[🔎] 1rd72g58el.fsf@strace.linpro.no">news:[🔎] 1rd72g58el.fsf@strace.linpro.no...
> Also, a large number of Danes, Swedes and Norwegians know English (or
> German/French) reasonably well, so it isn't that critical, IMHO.
>
> Either Swedish or Danish is OK for Scandinavians.  As a data point,
> Sun chose to support only Swedish with full documentation in Solaris.

You are completely right. It is more a convenience than a "must" for Danes
(and other Scandinavians) to have their very own translations. The absence
of a Danish (or Scandinavian) translation should'nt disable many
scandinavians from installing Debian. But it would be easier for most native
speakers and thus invite more to actually do it.
And e.g. the Danish GNU-skole (GNU for Schools) find it very important to
have real Danish translations in order to introduce Danish kids (and
teachers) to Linux.

If enough localisations of boot-floppies get up-to-date, we ought to
consider splitting up the international floppies into two with different
groups of locales built in.

Claus Hindsgaul