Re: 3.0.15 missing ne2k-pci module?

#include <hallo.h>
Mark van Walraven wrote on Mon Oct 29, 2001 um 05:16:35PM:

> > Yes, this driver should go into the kernel. But the source may be Coda
>
> The driver for the target root device?  It can be downloaded and installed

And how do you download without having the NIC driver? As said before,
we have 2.4MB in NIC drivers. With the kernel a bit too much for one floppy.

> the availability of the network, since earlier in this thread you
> proprosed installing the kernel-image package from the net!

No. Only one guy assumed everybody would have an allways supported
Realtek card (or what is the best-seller today?) and a fast network
connection. This is just not true for many people, and (at least me)
don't want to keep them outside.

> > modules take 2.4MB. Add nfs, code, ntfs... about 300kB. Consider this
> > please.
>
> I wasn't expecting to fit all the NIC drivers, just a selection of the
> most popular ones.  Additional FS drivers can be download over the network.

If you have only popular hardware, you may use the compact flavor, just
three floppies. Or reiserfs, they are only few floppies too.

> Look, what I'm suggesting here is an organisation where most people need
> only the rescue disk and a working network to install.  Some may need

If you don't like the compact/reiserfs flavors, or they don't support
your card, go ahead, take the kernel config from FTP, recompile the
kernel image, put it on the disk and run syslinux on it.

> mountable filesystem of a reasonably-common type, they may need a full
> set of "driver" disks.  It should still be an allround setup system.

When woody is ready, all the stuff will be on CD. I won't make me
headaches because of this issue.

> Room for FAT would have to be traded against room for more NIC drivers.

FAT is important. Someone may need to get some data from their
partition, or whatever.

> Not as a provisional filesystem, just a temporary filestore for downloaded
> modules.  In fact, transferring the initrd contents into tmpfs and
> releasing the initrd would use less RAM (just the instantanous size of
> the tmpfs contents and virtually no metadata overhead) than the initrd.

If you think, this is usefull, go ahead and present a concept. But ask
Adam first.

Gruss/Regards,
Eduard.
--
"In my opinion MS is a lot better at making money than it is at making
good operating systems" (Linus Torvalds, August 1997)