Re: 3.0.15 missing ne2k-pci module?

On Thu, Oct 25, 2001 at 10:00:24AM +0200, Eduard Bloch wrote:
> But you have probably right. Installing kernel-image along with other
> packages is a bad idea, IMHO, since it has many predepends.
> But when Woody stabilize, the kernel installation routine could be
> modified to get the package from the net and extract its contents. Then
> the number of driver floppies could be rely minimized to only one,
> containing NIC and FS drivers.
>
> Who has more comments to this proposal?

Sounds good to me.  I almost always replace the kernel after an install,
anyway.

If you concentrated on the required NIC and network modules, you could
download the remaining modules, instead of having to carry them all
on floppy.

I think the most common modules needed to get the system up and running
would even fit into root.bin (at least for 1.44MB floppies).  Imagine,
zero driver disks for most common configurations ...

Regards,

Mark.