Re: debootstrap 0.1.15.5, urgent for woody, needs testing

On Tue, Oct 16, 2001 at 01:43:13AM -0700, Jeremiah H. Savage wrote:
> On Sunday 14 October 2001 11:48 pm, Adam Di Carlo wrote:
> > Because, espcially, of the ppp change in base, we urgently need this
> > new debootstrap.  With Ethan's patches, I've put together 0.1.15.5.
> > It fixes many bugs but I need testing on it.
>
> I just successfully installed Sid on a PII-400 using Reiserfs floppies
> generated with 0.1.15.5. Overall install was very smooth - just a couple of
> possible issues:
>
> I attempted to bypass the Install Driver Modules stage as my network

its `Install *Kernel* and Driver Modules'

> driver is already built into the distributed kernels (tulip), and I was
> able to progress through the http download and debootstrap installation.
> But I ran into trouble when I tried to make the harddrive bootable. There
> was an error message that complained about not being able to 'cp /vmlinuz'
> - after skipping back to download the driver modules (none of which I
> activated), I was able to make the system bootable.

yes, its hard to make the system bootable if there is no kernel to
boot.  the kernel is not installed as part of base, its installed as
part of `Install kernel and driver modules' which you skipped.

> Also, the system is not prepared to use USB mice. I'm not sure which
> package is responsible for creating fstab, but I had to follow the
> directions at http://www.linux-usb.org and add the following to /etc/fstab
> after the /proc entry:
>   none            /proc/bus/usb             usbdevfs        defaults   0   0

this would be better done with an initscript i think.. so if this
isn't supported it won't spew errors at boot. (like devpts).

> and also
>   mkdir /dev/input
>   mknod /dev/input/mice c 13 63

nah

cd /dev
./MAKEDEV input

thats already done by default on powerpc.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/