Re: debootstrap 0.1.15.5, urgent for woody, needs testing

On Sunday 14 October 2001 11:48 pm, Adam Di Carlo wrote:
> Because, espcially, of the ppp change in base, we urgently need this
> new debootstrap.  With Ethan's patches, I've put together 0.1.15.5.
> It fixes many bugs but I need testing on it.

I just successfully installed Sid on a PII-400 using Reiserfs floppies
generated with 0.1.15.5. Overall install was very smooth - just a couple of
possible issues:

I attempted to bypass the Install Driver Modules stage as my network
driver is already built into the distributed kernels (tulip), and I was
able to progress through the http download and debootstrap installation.
But I ran into trouble when I tried to make the harddrive bootable. There
was an error message that complained about not being able to 'cp /vmlinuz'
- after skipping back to download the driver modules (none of which I
activated), I was able to make the system bootable.

Also, the system is not prepared to use USB mice. I'm not sure which
package is responsible for creating fstab, but I had to follow the
directions at http://www.linux-usb.org and add the following to /etc/fstab
after the /proc entry:
  none            /proc/bus/usb             usbdevfs        defaults   0   0

and also
  mkdir /dev/input
  mknod /dev/input/mice c 13 63

But, I'm very happy with the final result.

Thanks for all the hard work,
Jeremiah