Re: ftp, dbootstrap, busybox wget, status bar

Fri, Oct 12, 2001 at 07:35:58PM -0600 wrote:
> On Fri Oct 12, 2001 at 06:16:09PM -0700, Randolph Chung wrote:
> > > The remaining issue is user experience.  At the moment busybox wget
> > > isn't configured to give us a status bar (that costs ~2k).  Even if we
> > > add the status bar it will be under a fullscreen_execlog, (black
> > > screen with just the wget output) unless we want to munge wget output
> > > into pretty dbootstrap GUI progress bar etc.
> >
> > that sounds like it'll make the downloading process very
> > unprofessional-looking. are we really so short on space? can we just rip
> > out the existing http-fetch code if it's too large and plug in code from
> > busybox wget?

I wasn't actually doing it as much of a size issue.  Mostly just an
added bonus as I am adding ftp support.  The UI issue is a drawback
though.

> An excellent idea.  I can turn busybox wget off, and then we can update the
> existing http-fetch code to incorporate the busybox wget code -- modified to
> draw and update the existing libnewt based http-fetch progress meter.  If it
> makes anyone feel better, you have my full support.  That will allow the
> http-fetch code to directly support both http and ftp.
>
> The only downside is forking the busybox code.  I'm not too worried though.
> That part of the code is well known and works great, so I don't see this as a
> major problem...

What I'd rather do is just convert the wget status bar into a GUI
status bar by reading wget's stderr, it prevents a fork and we need
wget for debootstrap anyway.  I'll see what I can come up with.  I
think we'll still end up with something smaller than the status quo,
plus we'll get ftp with a nice progress bar.

To be continued.

-David