Re: ftp, dbootstrap, busybox wget, status bar

On Fri, Oct 12, 2001 at 05:13:29PM -0700, David Kimdon wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm working on adding ftp support to dbootstrap's fetching ability
> using busybox wget.  I'm considering using wget for http as well, the
> size saved is interesting.
>
> old (does only http):
> $ size http-fetch.o
>    text    data     bss     dec     hex filename
>    4560       0       0    4560    11d0 http-fetch.o
>
> new (supports http and ftp):
>    text    data     bss     dec     hex filename
>     264       0       0     264     108 http-fetch.o
>
> The remaining issue is user experience.  At the moment busybox wget
> isn't configured to give us a status bar (that costs ~2k).  Even if we
> add the status bar it will be under a fullscreen_execlog, (black
> screen with just the wget output) unless we want to munge wget output
> into pretty dbootstrap GUI progress bar etc.

I think a progress indication is extremely important. Especially for the
rather large files like Packages.gz etc. But it doesn't have to be anything
fancy IMHO, just get the job done. The full wget, when put into verbose
mode, does an extremely effective job with just repeated | 's to make a bar
and an xx% indication at the end of the bar. An even simpler approach is
just /-\| characters displaying in the same spot sequentially, just to let
the user know it's alive and working.

|  .''`.  |   Debian GNU/Linux: <http://www.debian.org>          |
| : :'  : |   debian-imac: <http://debian-imac.sourceforge.net>  |
| `. `'`  |      Chris Tillman        tillman@azstarnet.com      |
|   `-    |            May the Source be with you                |