Re: LVM enabled boot disks ?

On Sun, Oct 07, 2001 at 01:37:30PM +0200, Grzegorz Prokopski wrote:

> In my dreams it would be ideal if I had boot floppy that would allow
> me to install fresh Woody on ReiserFS sitting on LVM (and prefferably
[...]
> LVM is in the official kernel, but I cannot find any info about anyone
> working on boot floppies with LVM support.
>
> Any plans for this ?

I have nothing to do with bootdisk development (I just subscribed to ask a
question nobody answered so far :), but I don't think LVM is ready for such
mainstream deployment.

I also recently switched to LVM, and all recent 2.4.x kernels I tried (.8,
.9, .10, .10-ac7 I believe) require a bugfix patch from the LVM source
distribution to work correctly (without the patch, they can't activate the
volume groups).

The patch is slightly different for each kernel and is automatically
generated by scripts in the LVM source, but those scripts apparently can't
deal well with kernel versions less straightforward than x.y.z (so
2.4.10-ac7 caused problems, for example).

Now, you probably wouldn't want a hapless user switching to a 2.4.x kernel
and finding they can't even boot their LVM-enabled system with it.

FWIW, I say let bootdisk LVM suuport wait until the Sid release.

Andrew

--
            Andrew Korn (Korn Andras) <korn@chardonnay.math.bme.hu>
             Finger korn@chardonnay.math.bme.hu for pgp key. QOTD: