Re: build failure on ia32

On Tue Sep 04, 2001 at 02:51:05PM -0800, Ethan Benson wrote:
> same thing on powerpc, though i can't explain powerpc i can explain
> i386.
>
> from SMALL_BASE_LIST_i386:
>
> sbin/mkreiserfs
> sbin/reiserfsck
> sbin/resize_reiserfs
>
> reiserfsck is something like 180k, resize_reiserfs is 80, and
> mkreiserfs is 80.  all you need is mkfs, the fsck and resize should be
> removed.

Yipe!  And there we were picking nits from busybox...  While the busybox
nits are probably valid, they are nothing compared to these.

[andersen@slag gcc-2.95-2.95.4.ds5]$ dpkg -l reiserfsprogs | tail -n1
ii  reiserfsprogs  3.x.0j-6       User-level tools for ReiserFS filesystems
[andersen@slag gcc-2.95-2.95.4.ds5]$ du -hc /sbin/mkreiserfs /sbin/reiserfsck /sbin/resize_reiserfs
92k     /sbin/mkreiserfs
184k    /sbin/reiserfsck
96k     /sbin/resize_reiserfs
372k    total

It might be nice for people to have a rescue disk that has reiserfsck and
resize_reiserfs on it, but the boot floppies cannot be all things to all
people.

If we really need to include these, I can see a couple options.  We could
switch to cramfs (and the 2.4.x kernels it requires).  Or we could switch
making just a boot floppy which is then used to bootstrap a larger bf system
image.

 -Erik

--
Erik B. Andersen   email:  andersee@debian.org, andersen@lineo.com