Re: busybox bloat

On Sun Sep 02, 2001 at 04:53:08AM -0800, Ethan Benson wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 03, 2001 at 06:37:20AM +1000, Glenn McGrath wrote:
> >
> > If we use busybox dpkg-deb instead of ar and tar it will reduce busybox by
> > about 6.5kB (by my calculations), one of the reasons being that most of
> > the busybox unarchiving applets have been reorganised, however tar hasnt
> > been, currently busybox dpkg-deb uses seperate untar'ing code to the tar
> > applet. I have a patch somewhere to integrate tar with the common code the
> > unarchiving applets use, but it had still needed further testing and i got
> > distracted and havent looked at it further.
>
> well we really need to leave tar there since d[e]bootstrap needs it to
> extract basedebs.tgz files, as well as `Report a problem' manual user
> hackery, etc etc.
>
> removing ar along i imagine would not gain very much, but then again
> we need every byte we can get.

For the current set of busybox applets, I've made a best guess as
to what is likely to be needed.  If somone can find some applets
that are unused, I'm more then happy to axe them.

> that is more risky, debootstrap and the powerpc bootloader
> installer/configurator are writtin in /bin/sh, so the busybox version
> MUST be at least as good as real ash.

I consider it a full replacement, and with have now had several releases
with the busybox ash shell.  There are no known bugs...

 -Erik

--
Erik B. Andersen   email:  andersee@debian.org, andersen@lineo.com