Re: busybox bloat

On Sun, 2 Sep 2001 00:04:22 -0800
"Ethan Benson" <erbenson@alaska.net> wrote:

> The root disk is currently too bloated, on pmac and chrp its already
> too large to fit on a 1.44MB floppy.
>
> looking at busybox there is plenty of bloat that can be removed, i was
> able to bring /bin/busybox (current 0.61-1) down from 200792 bytes to
> 153088, a nearly 47k decrease.

If we use busybox dpkg-deb instead of ar and tar it will reduce busybox by
about 6.5kB (by my calculations), one of the reasons being that most of
the busybox unarchiving applets have been reorganised, however tar hasnt
been, currently busybox dpkg-deb uses seperate untar'ing code to the tar
applet. I have a patch somewhere to integrate tar with the common code the
unarchiving applets use, but it had still needed further testing and i got
distracted and havent looked at it further.

There are no known bugs with busybox dpkg-deb, it should be stable.

Some space could be saved by using the busybox ash shell as well, its had
the math routines put back in, and its been getting lots of attention from
busybox developers.

Glenn