Re: 3.0.11 BF report

Robert Bihlmeyer <robbe@orcus.priv.at> writes:

> A few hitches I encountered installing 3.0.11. 3.0.12 was not tested
> yet, as the Changlog does not show any entries relevant to me. (And
> yes, pcmcia.tgz is still almos empty.)

Fixed in sources now, will be fixed in 3.0.13.

> cfdisk showed:
>   hda1  Linux  primary
>   free space
>   hda5  FAT16  logical
>   free space
>
> But later, "Mount a previously initialized partition" said:
>   No ext2, ..., msdos, ... partition that had not already been mounted
>   was detected.
>
> "Install kernel ..." and then selecting "from harddisk" shows the same
> error (seems like this is calling the above function internally).

Sure, consistent anyway.

> Hmm, hda5 seems a msdos partition to me. "mount /dev/hda5 /mnt" in
> ash worked just fine.

Ouch.  Well, there were changes relevent to this in 3.0.12, esp if the
partition is a vfat or fat partition.

Please retest against 3.0.12 or wait for 3.0.13, and if you find this
again, please make a bug report against the boot-floppies.  We also
need the contents of 'fdisk -l', 'mount', and 'cat /proc/partitions'.

> During investigating that, I re-selected the partitioning option with
> / mounted. That was correctly unmounted first, and then cfdisk
> started. I looked at the information, did nothing else, and quit
> cfdisk. After that, I get a warning:
>   The root has changed unexpectedly from /dev/hda1 to .
>
> Apart from that, no negative side-effects. / has been re-mounted ok.

Hmm.  Doesn't seem too harmful.

> As mentioned above, I mounted /dev/hda5 manually, and then selected
> "Install kernel ..." plus "from mounted". Here a cosmetical error
> occured, that I failed to write down satisfactory. For a short time, a
> message concerning some ioctl and a Bad file descriptor showed on the
> screen. I think that was caused by something during loop-mounting the
> boot-disk-image. No other problem than the ugly message...

Hmm, please track this down and file a report.

> Finally, I ran afoul of bug#109578, which stopped me dead in my
> tracks. (There are workarounds, but I've not had time for them yet.)

Best workaround is try again with 3.0.13 when it shows up.