3.0.11 BF report

(please CC me)

A few hitches I encountered installing 3.0.11. 3.0.12 was not tested
yet, as the Changlog does not show any entries relevant to me. (And
yes, pcmcia.tgz is still almos empty.)

cfdisk showed:
  hda1  Linux  primary
  free space
  hda5  FAT16  logical
  free space

But later, "Mount a previously initialized partition" said:
  No ext2, ..., msdos, ... partition that had not already been mounted
  was detected.

"Install kernel ..." and then selecting "from harddisk" shows the same
error (seems like this is calling the above function internally).

Hmm, hda5 seems a msdos partition to me. "mount /dev/hda5 /mnt" in
ash worked just fine.

During investigating that, I re-selected the partitioning option with
/ mounted. That was correctly unmounted first, and then cfdisk
started. I looked at the information, did nothing else, and quit
cfdisk. After that, I get a warning:
  The root has changed unexpectedly from /dev/hda1 to .

Apart from that, no negative side-effects. / has been re-mounted ok.

As mentioned above, I mounted /dev/hda5 manually, and then selected
"Install kernel ..." plus "from mounted". Here a cosmetical error
occured, that I failed to write down satisfactory. For a short time, a
message concerning some ioctl and a Bad file descriptor showed on the
screen. I think that was caused by something during loop-mounting the
boot-disk-image. No other problem than the ugly message...

Finally, I ran afoul of bug#109578, which stopped me dead in my
tracks. (There are workarounds, but I've not had time for them yet.)

--
Robbe