Re: Booting/Install Problems

I don't know the answer, but I did a little research.

Here is a bug report that looks similar to yours, it got closed, saying
this is fixed in woody (current development version) :
http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2001/debian-boot-200104/msg00516.html

That may be because the kernel we are using for woody (2.2.19) has an
update ide driver (potato 2.2.r3 uses 2.2.19pre17).

Can anyone confirm or deny that this is true?  If so you can create a boot
floppy, boot off that, and continue the installation with the CDROM.

In any case you can try simply booting off the woody boot floppies to see
if the treat you drive better (but note that woody is still in development,
as such you probably actually want to install potato, which you can do by
changing the kernel).

woody (testing, not stable) boot floppies can be found here:
http://people.debian.org/~aph/debian/dists/woody/main/disks-i386/current/

-David