Warning?

Dear friends,

I think you should *give a warning* for the suggested method to reset a
partitionsize after having used fips or whatever method to diminish a
partition.

In the excellent text about installing Linux/Gnu there is this advice:

4.8 Partitioning for DOS

Apparently, whenever you create or resize a partition for DOS use,
it's a good idea to fill the first few sectors
with zeros. Do this prior to running DOS's format
command, from Linux:

     dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hdXX bs=512 count=4

I would not do that if I had any data. I would not mind zeroing out
the boot block: dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hdXX bs=512 count=1

However you will overwrite the first FAT if you do more than 512byte,
at least on the systems I know of.

  Donald Axel, dax@superusers.dk

--
***Donald_J_Axel***SuperUsers