Re: Problems installing on new iBook dual USB

On Tue, Jun 26, 2001 at 10:24:48AM -0700, Andrew Sharp wrote:
> > mac-fdisk is no longer broken, lets not fix it until it is.
>
> I had occassion to experience the broken mac-fdisk not too long
> ago.  It wasn't all that catastrophic, was it?  I don't need to be
> Einstein to realize that my 9.1gig disk isn't really 456gig.  Just

that as i have said, is fixed in mac-fdisk 0.1-6 which is in both
woody and potato-proposed-updates.

> went to /var/log/messages and got the real size and put it in there
> as an argument.  Worked fine.  I noticed that there was a bug filed
> against it a long time ago so there was no reason to even bring it
> up.  That's why they have the capacity argument in there, right?
> ~:^)  One of those little things that just isn't annoying enough is
> that it could so easily supply reasonable defaults without you
> having to do the math yourself all the time, especially the

which it does now.

> "beginning block" argument.  Most people don't use overlapping
> partitions, except in sparc land, and mac-fdisk probably won't let
> you anyway, so what's the dileo?  If it was just a little bit more
> annoying I'd go change it myself.  Time for a nap instead, I think.

every fdisk implementation i have seen let you choose the starting
block, it makes sense if you for some reason want to leave a `hole' of
free space on the disk.  unlike apple's useless tools mac-fdisk will
allow you to do this without silly placeholder partitions.

just use the shortcuts: print the table, look for the Apple_Free where
you want the next partition to start use its partition number like so:

startblock: 2p

see http://penguinppc.org/usr/ybin/doc/mac-fdisk-basics.shtml

--
Ethan Benson