Re: [patch] debootstrap basedebs tarball support

On Wed, Jun 20, 2001 at 11:42:40PM -0800, Ethan Benson wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 20, 2001 at 10:46:45PM -0400, Russell Hires wrote:
> > Thank you, thank you! This solution should solve my pppoe problem in the
> > same way as the base tarball does now for potato when I do an install.
> > I'd be able to separately install the pppoe software after the
> > basedebs.tgz is installed, and before I have to be on the network, if
> > I'm reading this correctly.
> except aj has rejected the patch so it won't be merged or available in
> b-f.

It'll be rewritten by me eventually, if you don't get to it sooner, anyway.
The idea's definitely good.

> i am looking at fixing aj's main complaint (keeping the dist scripts
> ignorant of acquisition method), there is no guarentee he will accept
> that patch either though.  from my current tests it looks like both my
> tar:// method and aj's null:// method would require the exact same
> hack to work (while keeping the dist scripts ignorant of download
> method).  i am more inclined to keep tar:// since i don't see why
> debootstrap should not be able to extract the tarball itself, that
> seems natural to me (debootstrap gets .debs, from file:// or http://
> or ftp:// so why not extract a thoeretical tarball as well?)

One reason is it generalises to handling floppy images well: debootstrap
is currently non-interactive, and swapping floppy disks obviously
needs to be interactive. Using a "null:" interface, and just coping
with previously unpacked stuff means this can be implemented just with
changes to dbootstrap.

It also copes better with the planned future enhancement of "non static"
base systems. That is, you say "install a base system, plus ppp and pppoe"
or "install a base system, plus build-essential" and debootstrap'll be
careful to do whatever dependency resolution and such it can and do the
install. Having a single "null:" url makes it straightforward to know when
it's worth trying to download extra packages like this, and when it's not.

If you're really really desperate to avoid changing dbootstrap, that
can be as simple as adding:

	if [ "$DBOOTSTRAP_TARBALL_HACK" != "" ]; then
		mkdir -p $TARGET/
		(cd $TARGET/ && tar xzvf $DBOOTSTRAP_TARBALL_HACK)
	fi

somewhere appropriate in /usr/sbin/debootstrap.

Cheers,
aj