Re: [patch] debootstrap basedebs tarball support

On Wed, Jun 20, 2001 at 10:46:45PM -0400, Russell Hires wrote:
> Thank you, thank you! This solution should solve my pppoe problem in the
> same way as the base tarball does now for potato when I do an install.
> I'd be able to separately install the pppoe software after the
> basedebs.tgz is installed, and before I have to be on the network, if
> I'm reading this correctly.

except aj has rejected the patch so it won't be merged or available in
b-f.

i am looking at fixing aj's main complaint (keeping the dist scripts
ignorant of acquisition method), there is no guarentee he will accept
that patch either though.  from my current tests it looks like both my
tar:// method and aj's null:// method would require the exact same
hack to work (while keeping the dist scripts ignorant of download
method).  i am more inclined to keep tar:// since i don't see why
debootstrap should not be able to extract the tarball itself, that
seems natural to me (debootstrap gets .debs, from file:// or http://
or ftp:// so why not extract a thoeretical tarball as well?)

and i have learned the LESS code we have to screw with in dbootstrap
the better.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/