Re: boot-floppies 2.3.5 ready for testing (i386 and powerpc so far)

On Sun, Jun 17, 2001 at 12:41:01PM -0700, David Whedon wrote:
> This is a known limitation, and a rather troublesome one, IMHO.  Someone in your
> situation can't readily install Debian via floppies since ppp is not supported
> on the boot disks, this is unfortunate.  I may see how hard it is to hack in
> some simple ppp support.  I wouldn't be able to test it though, as I have no
> dialup access.  If I did something (and I don't know if I will have time, nor
> whether or not it will fit)  would you be able to test it?

there are other problems with debootstrap that make it less then
steller over lousy net connections like dialup ppp.   in particular if
there is any error in the download it aborts and will not resume, you
must start over from the beginning.  apt-get has autoresume as does
many ftp/http fetching utilities that feature can allow you to
download a base tarball, with several resumes and get it intact for
use during install.  hacking autoresume into busybox wget might not be
trivial.  much less teaching debootstrap about it.

but who gives a flying fsck about dialup users right?

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/