Re: base*.tgz is gone, and why it's gone

On Sun, Jun 17, 2001 at 01:48:45PM -0400, Matt Zimmerman wrote:

> Except that the resulting base.tgz would contain a bunch of .debs, which is not
> easily transformable into a usable chroot environment (which is what I believe
> Jason wants) except on a Debian system of the target architecture, which is not
> always available.

that isn't the problem im trying to solve.  im solving the problem of
users who want or need to download the base ahead of time and keep it
on a zip or crippledfs partition.  currently this is all ppp and pppoe
users.

you can't possibly expect users to build a minimirror complete with
correct release files and Packages files on a crippled filesystem with
MacOS or windows.

> It should be possible for an automated process (running on various
> architectures) to periodically build "traditional" base.tgz's using debootstrap
> and a Debian mirror, and make them available for download.  How does it help to
> use an intermediate tarball as you have proposed?

it can be built far faster and it can be done all on one machine for
all archtectures.  since all it does is download .debs its instant.

building root filesystem tarballs would take more time and has to be
done on the arch its building for, there are more logistical problems
maintaining that, those problems appear every time a base change is
needed.  a root filesystem tarball for nfs root doesn't need to care
about base changes or boot-floppies problems it can be done
separatly.

the root filesystem tarball could really be done as a debian package
in and of itself.  build an arch: all package, its build process
consists of running debootstrap and running tar.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/