Re: Patch not included in e2fsprogs 1.21.

On Sat Jun 16, 2001 at 03:04:28PM -0400, Ben Collins wrote:
> Uh, wrong. We compile _all_ shared libs using -fPIC (IOW, every .so).
> That has nothing to do with mklibs.sh, it has to do with being a shared
> lib. If you try to link a .so with non-PIC objects, some architectures
> will barf all of the resulting library.

When did we start doing that?  What arches choke (and isn't
that a linker bug on those arches)?  That way why they invented
the ELF relocatable object.  Penalizing all non broken arches with
slower fatter PIC code seems a harsh way to go.  I do not see this
problem on x86 or ARM...

 -Erik

--
Erik B. Andersen   email:  andersee@debian.org, andersen@lineo.com