Re: Install manual organization

On Thu, Jun 14, 2001 at 03:37:01PM -0400, Adam Di Carlo wrote:

> Yes...  It would be great if we had more info for people who are
> installing debian but wanna retain their existing OS.   I admit the
> boot-loader configuration stuff isn't likely to solve that (well, if
> we use grub on i386, that might be possible).
>
> Interestingly, the process for all arches is similar:
>
>  - do your partitioning in the non-linux OS, leaving a place hold or
>    room for Debian
>
>  - do the install, changing that placeholder or free space to a linux
>    partition, etc.

hmm so you do have to do that on say DOS to?  actually yes i remember
hearing about recent versions doing little special things to the
partition table to make sure any partitions not created by it would be
randomly scribbled...

>  - do NOT make hard disk bootable, but use other means of booting
>    instead (rescue floppy with the 'rescue' option, the miboot floppy
>    on powermac, booting from cd w/ rescue, whatever...)

that might be necessary on OldWorld, but not NewWorld.  most people
seem to have the fancy new hardware with that OpenFirmware OS picker.
our Make System Bootable routine by its nature just adds another
bootable OS to that list without breaking anything.  (other then
making Debian the default).

also note that NewWorlds are rather inconvenient to boot any other way
then CD or ybin prepared hard disk.

>  - after installation is complete, user must manually configure
>    boot-loader for dual-booting.

in yaboot's case if they want the ybin boot menu they have to do
this.  yabootconfig won't support it because probing every attached
disk for HFS partitions and trying to present a list is too
complicated for what i want it to do.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/