Re: Install manual organization

"Chris Tillman" <tillman@azstarnet.com> writes:

> > 3 Before Installing Debian GNU/Linux
> >
> > 3.1 Backups
> > 3.2 Information You Will Need
> > (was 4.2) Planning Use of the System
> > 3.3 Pre-installation Hardware and Operating System Setup
> > (was 5.1) Overview of the Installation Process
>
> add here: Pre-Partitioning to Support Dual Booting
>    -- create placeholder partition for Linux which will be deleted later

Yes...  It would be great if we had more info for people who are
installing debian but wanna retain their existing OS.   I admit the
boot-loader configuration stuff isn't likely to solve that (well, if
we use grub on i386, that might be possible).

Interestingly, the process for all arches is similar:

 - do your partitioning in the non-linux OS, leaving a place hold or
   room for Debian

 - do the install, changing that placeholder or free space to a linux
   partition, etc.

 - do NOT make hard disk bootable, but use other means of booting
   instead (rescue floppy with the 'rescue' option, the miboot floppy
   on powermac, booting from cd w/ rescue, whatever...)

 - after installation is complete, user must manually configure
   boot-loader for dual-booting.

--
.....Adam Di Carlo....adam@onshore.com.....<URL:http://www.onshored.com/>