Re: critical problems in 2.3.5 prevent release

a few notes on my just finished install attempt....

On Fri, Jun 08, 2001 at 12:47:31AM -0800, Ethan Benson wrote:
> > debootstrap is still saying: 'Failure trying to run: dpkg
> > --force-auto-select --force-overwrite --force'
>
> it would be nice if we could get more data as to whats really causing
> this.  ill try and look at this tonite.

im not sure what is causing this, i did find that man-db and groff
were in a brokenly installed state because groff depends on
groff-base.  bug filed against debootstrap.

powerpc-utils seems to have configured correctly this time, the
conffile kludge must have worked around its problem.  (i still think
the diversion should die).

i also found that quik happily installed a bootblock on my newworld
because it runs quikconfig unconditionally, since the default answer
is yes, /dev/null == yes...  bug filed.  (aph can you NMU this again?
quik seems effectivly orphaned..)

yaboot setup obviously failed because we don't have the necessary
version of yaboot in the archive.

for some reason /target/etc/inittab is the normal one and not the one
that spawns base-config.  wierd im not sure yet how this happened.

i also found something is seriously broken regarding some of the
initial directories created on the target filesytem, most of them are
created with 0777 permissions, including but not limited to /etc /usr
/usr/bin /usr/sbin /usr/share /etc/apm /bin /sbin /lib

suffice it to say its a huge security hole, its never fixed either.
(ill try and find out whos fault this is tomorrow).   it seems to only
be directories, and not all of them are world writable, but most are.
/boot and /lib/modules were 755 as they should be.

dbootstrap didn't bother asking me to configure the base system but
did it when i told it to.

note i installed using the sid target, which does infact get sid it
would appear.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/