[stephen@marenka.net: Re: strange question]

----- Forwarded message from Stephen R Marenka <stephen@marenka.net> -----

From: Stephen R Marenka <stephen@marenka.net>
To: jon <jon@slurpee.org>
Subject: Re: strange question

On Wed, May 16, 2001 at 01:02:23PM -0500, jon wrote:
> I have one of the new adaptec 2940 u2w's... I talked to justin (the guy
> that maintains the driver for the aic7xxx), and he gave me an update (its
> a fix for what to do w/ the sequencing instructions... I think :). Is it
> possible to put the boot floppy on the hd itself and boot from it? (I'm
> pretty sure it is, just let me know if I'm way off... should just be
> setting boot=/dev/sda and then using the lilo.conf from the boot disk to
> setup the correct ramdisks. But then that leads to another
> question... I was planning to put reiserfs on this partition, so will I
> have to cpio my entire dist put reiserfs on it, and then put it back where
> it belongs? I was hoping to just put reiserfs and have the install not
> format the partition ext2fs for me. Anyways, any help will be excellent.

I'm not the guru, so hopefully someone will correct me where I'm wrong.

Reiserfs is not supported by the potato boot-floppies, although there's
muttering about supporting it in woody. What I think you should do is to
go ahead and build your custom kernel with reiserfs support. Follow the
directions below for installing your custom kernel on the rescue boot
floppy. Boot from the rescue floppy. You have the option of initializing
your own partitions from VT2 during the dbootstrap installation process.
You then use "Mount a Previous-Initialized Partion."

> On Wed, 16 May 2001, Stephen R Marenka wrote:
>
> > On Wed, May 16, 2001 at 12:01:34PM -0500, jon wrote:
> >
> > <http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch-boot-floppy-techinfo.en.html#s-rescue-replace-kernel>

Stephen

<stephen@marenka.net>

----- End forwarded message -----