Re: woody boot floppies woes

On Wed, 16 May 2001 12:13:02 you wrote:

> Uhm, has *anyone* succeeded to install a machine using the woody
boot
> floppies?  So far, I've just met with utter failure.
>
> Every time I try to install the base system over the network the
> machine prints "trying to get package" messages for a whole bunch
of
> packages, and then returns me to the menu with "Install the Base
System"

http://http.us.debian.org:80/debian returned 256

> I can't seem to avoid this.  Anyone see anything like this before?
>
> The downloading seems to succeed.  At least,
/target/var/cache/apt/archives
> is full of packages, but it just won't ever unpack/install them.
>
> I'm going to completely wipe the machine now and try again.

I had the same problems with the boot floppies as of 2 weeks
ago.

For right now, I think the best thing to do if you want to run
woody is install the potato release, (just the basics) and then
do a apt-get dist-upgrade after changing you're
/etc/apt/sources.list.

I've went through the following here:

1. Upgraded a solid potato with alot of apps installed, then
   manually installed 2.4.3 with XFree86 4.2 and then 4.3.
   (that ended up breaking some things...)
2. Tried unstable..., good name. ;)
3. Backed down to a solid potato, with a custom kernel and
   iptables. 2.4.4.  Staying here for awhile.

I did have #1 running for a few weeks, but I couldn't
use apt-get update and upgrade since it insisted on
replacing alot of packages, including my install of
xfree that I grabbed from xfree86.org.  I'll end up
playing with it some more after I get my new box
put together.

Dana