Woody install report

Hello,
On Monday I had to install my new box and decided to go for Woody
directly. This is my report.

Preparation
-----------
Hardware: Duron 800, QDI motherboard with VIA chipset, rlt8139 ethernet
card, Savage4 video card, 40Gb ata100 IDE drive.
Boot-floppies: used those provided by manty, with his patches for the
bugs he had found and fixed. Manty installed from a set of CDs made by
himself, I used the rescue, root, drivers[1-4] floppies, and continued
with a net install.
I think manty has committed his changes to CVS already, so maybe what I
used is available to everyone at this point.

Install
-------
Ok, a normal floppies install. Oh, they were compiled for Spanish, so I
could review the state of the translation.

The install went flawless until modconf. There, first I noticed it
wasn't in Spanish, and nearly any module had a description (description
unavailable). I don't know why it wasn't in Spanish. manty said he got
it in Galician just right, and I thought Joey had updated the Spanish
translation. Anyway, the big thing in modconf was when I tried to select
8139too in the net section.
Selected the driver, pressed enter in the parameters dialog (without
typing anything) and then I got a huge flood in console 1, which I had
to stop with two ^C's. In C2 I saw there was a process,
mv mv /etc/modules.199 /etc/modules.
In the flood, there was something like
modules.199/modules.199/modules.199/modules.199/modules.199/modules.199/modules.199/modules.199/modules.199/modules.199/modules.199/modules.199/modules.199/modules.199/modules.199/modules.199/modules.199/modules.199/modules.199/modules.199/modules.199/modules.199/modules.199/modules.199/modules.199/modules.199/modules.199/modules.199/modules.199/modules.199/modules.199/modules/modules/modules/modules/modules/modules/modules/modules/modules/modules/modules/modules/modules/modules/modules/modules/modules/modules/modules/modules/modules/modules/modules/modules/modules/modules/modules/modules/modules/modules/modules/modules/
which ended with a mv: filename too long.

This happened too when I uninstalled this driver.

In the network configuration, I had a small problem too. When I finished
introducing the data (the last thing is DNS, right?), the installer
froze. When I ^C'd, it gave me the welcome message, pressed enter and I
was back in the network configuration. This time, there wasn't any
freeze and I could go on into installing the base system using network.

Using http.us.d.o (the default) wasn't nice, there are no Release files
in that server. http://ftp.fi.d.o was enough to keep on going.
The wget processes were something like this:
wget -q -O /target//var/cache/.../...
I guess that double slash could be corrected, but manty didn't find the
origin in his sources. Anyway, it's harmless.

Rebooted, and after the first boot, I came across some other problems.
First, debconf would whine about libterm-stool not installed, but dialog
was coming up ok. I think joeyh has fixed this in last night's debconf.
I had installed woody debs, as the installer told me sid was
unsupported, so I had the buggy debconf. When I answered the md5 and
shadow passwords, and the root password, debconf would freeze for a
long time before showing up the new username dialog. I tried installing
the required libs for slang debconf, and ^C'd, started base-config from
the beginning but still got the freezes. Waiting helped, after a minute
or so I got the first question, after another wait, the first password
prompt, etc. Dunno if this was caused by an old debconf too. Then, the
cyclic debconf bug triggered, so I had to edit sources.list from another
console, point at sid and install the fixed debconf (which was left
unconfigured, as the db's were locked).

So, last run of base-config (with no pauses this time), dselect ran,
which I ignored (installed nothing), and the installer threw me to the
first login prompt.

Immediately I upgraded to sid, and I guess that's the end of the story.

I had problems with the default kernel. When I was trying to configure
X, starting them would freeze my keyboard. I guess it was something with
X, but then I tried gpm and same results. Gpm started, keyboard lock.
Remotely killing gpm unlocked it. I just had to compile 2.4.4 and it
went away. I think there's little more to say, the box's been working
like a charm since I installed it.

Jordi
--
Jordi Mallach Pérez || jordi@pusa.informat.uv.es || Rediscovering Freedom,
   aka Oskuro in    || jordi@sindominio.net      || Using Debian GNU/Linux

http://sindominio.net  GnuPG public information:      pub  1024D/917A225E
telnet pusa.uv.es 23   73ED 4244 FD43 5886 20AC  2644 2584 94BA 917A 225E