Re: libc reduction and powerpc/apus woody boot floppies.

On Sun, May 06, 2001 at 09:47:42PM -0600, Erik Andersen wrote:
> On Sun May 06, 2001 at 11:28:42AM +0200, Sven LUTHER wrote:
> >
> > Then you can try one of the other functions of the busybox (i don't know, but
> > i guess something like ls or so will do, or even mount).
>
> All busybox functions are symlinks to /bin/busybox.  So running more
> 'ldd' checks isn't going to tell us much.

well, but running ls (it is a busybox function isn't it ?) will enable you to
test if the libc compiled in will work or not, without doing things we want to
do with init.

Just to see if it will work in a chrooted environment.

My guess, conforted by ben collins mail, is that the busybox is linked toward
the not reduced libc6 that is in the standard install, while there is the
reduced version in the root image.

This can be tested with chrooting into the boot image and testing there if any
busybox program will run, isn't it ?

Note : i have no ppc box myself, so i cannot test it, Giorgio volunteered to do
the building/testing, altough he is not a debian developper, and thus not
really all that much familiar with boot floppies internals.

> > Try this either in the chrooted environment and in the nomral one.
> >
> > Anyway, i am not sure i can help you much here, we need help from the
> > boot-floppies people, ...
> >
> > That said, since you are using the precompiled busybox, this clearly warrants
> > a bug against busybox.
>
> I'm dubious.  I still havn't figured out exactly what the problem is.
> So far I have only seen vague guesses to a problem, but I don't see
> what the original problem is that people are guessing about.

See above, do you think this seems reasonable ?

> So far, I'm guessing that the problem is some version of boot floppies
> of powerpc failed to boot...

Well, it boots all right, but init will not work, and as thus he gets only
blinking cursor on VC1 and nothing on VC 2-3.

he noticed that chaging the reduced libc6 in the root image by the not reduced
one, then it will boot.

As for me, i have only experience with the potato boot floppies on apus, not
worked on them since then, and no access to a ppc box.

> Is this a serial console?  What kernel verison is being used?

No it is not, standard (fbdev) console. Kernel being either 2.2.10 (latest
2.2.x on apus) or 2.4.x.

> Do we have a log of what does happen on boot?

Well, since he has no serial console, and init is causing problem, there is no
meaningfull log, apart from what you will find at :

ftp://lambda.u-strasbg.fr/boot-floppies

Friendly,

Sven Luther