Re: libc reduction and powerpc/apus woody boot floppies.

On Sat, May 05, 2001 at 11:33:50AM +0200, Giorgio Terzi wrote:
> Hello Sven,
> these are the informations you've asked me taken from
> the linux installation i used for boot-floppy building:
>
> # dpkg -l 'libc6*'

> | Status=Not/Installed/Config-files/Unpacked/Failed-config/Half-installed
> |/ Err?=(none)/Hold/Reinst-required/X=both-problems (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
> ||/ Name           Version        Description
> +++-==============-==============-============================================
> ii  libc6          2.2.2-1        GNU C Library: Shared libraries and Timezone
> un  libc6-bin      <none>         (no description available)
> pn  libc6-dbg      <none>         (no description available)
> ii  libc6-dev      2.2.2-1        GNU C Library: Development Libraries and Hea
> un  libc6-doc      <none>         (no description available)
> ii  libc6-pic      2.2.2-1        GNU C Library: PIC archive library
> pn  libc6-prof     <none>         (no description available)
> un  libc6.1        <none>         (no description available)
>

> # dpkg -l 'busy*'

> | Status=Not/Installed/Config-files/Unpacked/Failed-config/Half-installed
> |/ Err?=(none)/Hold/Reinst-required/X=both-problems (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
> ||/ Name           Version        Description
> +++-==============-==============-============================================
> ii  busybox        0.51-1         Tiny utilities for small and embedded system
> pn  busybox-static <none>         (no description available)

Ok, fine ...

> # ldd -v -d -r /sbin/init
>
>     libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x0feb3000)
>     /lib/ld.so.1 => /lib/ld.so.1 (0x30000000)

Is this the /lib of the root disk, or the one from the normal install.

My guess is that this is the /lib of the normal install, and thus the reason
for the init program not working on the root disk.

Could you try mounting the root image, and then chroot to it (you need to
install that package).

Then you can try one of the other functions of the busybox (i don't know, but
i guess something like ls or so will do, or even mount).

Try this either in the chrooted environment and in the nomral one.

Anyway, i am not sure i can help you much here, we need help from the
boot-floppies people, ...

That said, since you are using the precompiled busybox, this clearly warrants
a bug against busybox.

Friendly,

Sven Luther