Re: cdlinux progress report and roadmap

zhaoway wrote:
> hi,
>
> i will probably abandon the c version of the linuxrc code, and move to
> the debian busybox, at least this gives a better integration to the
> overall debian project. as time permits, i will finish this move in
> early may.

Cool, i will checkout what youve done, i may be able to help.

> two things to note.
>
> 1. where are the debs?
>
> we may need a deb virtual filesystem. i don't like dpkg-repack,
> because the overhead. and we may probably have no place to put the
> repacked deb. remember we only have ram to write on?
>
> to the gurus, a deb filesystem is probably trivial. i'm not a guru,
> but i will try. if nobody volunteer, or anybody comes with better
> idea. this will take me a month to write i guess. then we will have it
> ready in early july maybe. no waranty. ;)

Do you mean you want to make a virtual filesystem so the system can
access the files within the deb ?

Ive been working on some dpkg code in busybox, it can get inside debs
without needing to write anything to disk.

> 2. some chroot tricks.
>
> GUI program will running on CD, but it will fork dpkg running chroot
> on harddisk. harddisk would be formated in prior by other
> program. this is doable. as far as i can see for now. we still need a
> base.tgz, though. i roughly remember that someone on debian-boot
> mentioned that they don't need base.tgz, i really want to know the
> details. um, now think apache etc, chroot things maybe not that easy.

If you have dpkg from the start you can install the packages that make
up the base.tgz from .debs

Thanks

Glenn