Re: a cvs floppy test to install a woody cd by a BF newbie (report)

Thu, Apr 26, 2001 at 09:50:03PM +0200 wrote:
> Hi!
>
> After debugging busybox enough so that I could use the cvs version to
> build installable floppies, so here is my report and also some questions I'd
> like to know the answer, so that I could continue trying to inprove boot
> floppies.
>
> When installing the base packages there seems to be a problem with exim, the
> empty config is created on /target and exim checks for it on /, so you get
> complaints from exim.
sounds like the exim config should be chrooted.  Maybe file a bug against the package
debootstrap.

> It doesn't unmount the filesystems, so...
I think this is a change to busybox init, might even be this one:

http://www.busybox.lineo.com/cgi-bin/cvsweb/busybox/init.c.diff?r1=1.129&r2=1.130

perhaps add :

::shutdown:/bin/umount -a -r > /dev/null 2>&1
::shutdown:/sbin/swapoff -a > /dev/null 2>&1

to:

boot-floppies/scripts/rootdisk/prototype/etc/inittab

> Then we find out that termwrap is missing, it has dissapeared from boot
> floppies, but it is still called by inittab.
>
> Here is my second question, is termwrap being dropped? are we gonna call
> dpkg-reconfigure base-config directly?
search me.

> /etc/environment is missing, that breaks termwrap.
I think that should be provided by debootstrap, file a bug.

> If we bypass this problems, then we find out that libterm-stool-perl and a
> lot of its depencencies are missing, so dpkg-reconfigure doesn't work (it
> is trying to start debconf using slang), so either we install all the stuff
> that is needed for slang (apt-get install libterm-stool-perl) or we
> configure debconf for dialog editing /var/cache/debconf/config.dat

I'd vote for editing /var/cache/debconf/config.dat

> This leads me to another question, what are we gonna use, slang?
feel free to just decide, doesn't matter to me.

> Well, anyway, we arrive at a point were debconf says base-config is not
> fully installed, so it refuses to reconfigure it. If we dpkg on base-config
> we find out that it doesn't exist on the dpkg database.
>
> Well, I installed it usind apt, and I got an error when apt was trying to
> preconfigure it, it said that /var/cache/debconf/config.dat was locked by
> another process.
>
> Anyway, we continue and we get that loadkeys is not installed, so I install
> console-tools to get loadkeys, and then it complains that it is not able to
> open the file /usr/share/keymaps/i386/qwerty/es.kmap.gz the keymap that I
> had chosen at the install, so... I need the keymaps, so I try to install
> console-data but, well, you all know the story, it tells me that it is not
> available and that console-common replace it :-)
>
> Then I realice that my net is not configured, as the modules file is empty
> and does not contain the modules I had chosen on the install.
ick, did debootstrap overwrite the modules file?  Or did we forget to write the
modules file to /target ?

> Well, back to the install, I answer a couple of questions, enter password
> for root, and... seems to be stucked there... takes so so long... it is
> grepping the /etc/password for different values :-???

not sure on this one.

> Oh, there you go, the user account... one moment... grepping again the
> /etc/password? oh, ok I'll wait...
>
> So I enter all the user stuff, and... adduser not found, we didn't install
> adduser... dam, ok... installing it and all its dependencies, error on the
> config.dat being locked, enter the user data again and continue...
debootstrap should install adduser, file a bug.

> Continue till the las question (dselect or tasksel?) then the error of the
> config.dat being locked breaks the install and it is respawned again and
> again from the beginning (shall I enable md5 passwords?).
>
> I wonder who is to blame for that lock, debconf? base-config? dpkg? me? :-)
All your fault, seriously though, I don't know.

> Well, that is all for now, seems like we have a long way to go.

Cool that you made it that far.  Your the first to have gotten to the reboot
stage, at least that I have heard of.

David