a cvs floppy test to install a woody cd by a BF newbie (report)

Hi!

After debugging busybox enough so that I could use the cvs version to
build installable floppies, so here is my report and also some questions I'd
like to know the answer, so that I could continue trying to inprove boot
floppies.

When installing the base packages there seems to be a problem with exim, the
empty config is created on /target and exim checks for it on /, so you get
complaints from exim.

The system setup is not working, as the code to generate unconfigured.sh
does not exist, but there is a check for it, wich means that configure_base
is not called.

Here is my first question, is unconfigured.sh supposed to be generated? or
are we dropping it and are we gonna implement some other stuff?

If one continues... then we get an error saying that we couldn't stat
/target/usr/share/zoneinfo/localtime and then another one sayind that we
couldn't stat localtime.

lilo is not working: the new /sbin/lilo is just an script that calls
/sbin/lilo.real, wich doesn't exist, so either we call /sbin/lilo.real
directly or we change BC_RUN_LILO to something like "chroot /target lilo
>/dev/null" wich I have tried and works ok, but I don't know if this
solution is as general as the old one.

It doesn't unmount the filesystems, so...

After the reboot... fsck is run on the target partition.

Then we find out that termwrap is missing, it has dissapeared from boot
floppies, but it is still called by inittab.

Here is my second question, is termwrap being dropped? are we gonna call
dpkg-reconfigure base-config directly?

/etc/environment is missing, that breaks termwrap.

If we bypass this problems, then we find out that libterm-stool-perl and a
lot of its depencencies are missing, so dpkg-reconfigure doesn't work (it
is trying to start debconf using slang), so either we install all the stuff
that is needed for slang (apt-get install libterm-stool-perl) or we
configure debconf for dialog editing /var/cache/debconf/config.dat

This leads me to another question, what are we gonna use, slang?

Well, anyway, we arrive at a point were debconf says base-config is not
fully installed, so it refuses to reconfigure it. If we dpkg on base-config
we find out that it doesn't exist on the dpkg database.

Well, I installed it usind apt, and I got an error when apt was trying to
preconfigure it, it said that /var/cache/debconf/config.dat was locked by
another process.

Anyway, we continue and we get that loadkeys is not installed, so I install
console-tools to get loadkeys, and then it complains that it is not able to
open the file /usr/share/keymaps/i386/qwerty/es.kmap.gz the keymap that I
had chosen at the install, so... I need the keymaps, so I try to install
console-data but, well, you all know the story, it tells me that it is not
available and that console-common replace it :-)

Well, I try to get it from sid, run vi to edit the apt sources and I realice
that I don't know how to exit this vi (The guys at #debian-devel tell me to
hit ZZ to exit saving, thanks. What a standard vi this is).

Then I realice that my net is not configured, as the modules file is empty
and does not contain the modules I had chosen on the install.

Well, back to the install, I answer a couple of questions, enter password
for root, and... seems to be stucked there... takes so so long... it is
grepping the /etc/password for different values :-???

Oh, there you go, the user account... one moment... grepping again the
/etc/password? oh, ok I'll wait...

So I enter all the user stuff, and... adduser not found, we didn't install
adduser... dam, ok... installing it and all its dependencies, error on the
config.dat being locked, enter the user data again and continue...

Continue till the las question (dselect or tasksel?) then the error of the
config.dat being locked breaks the install and it is respawned again and
again from the beginning (shall I enable md5 passwords?).

I wonder who is to blame for that lock, debconf? base-config? dpkg? me? :-)

Well, that is all for now, seems like we have a long way to go.

I'd like to help in this, but I need somebody or some document that points
me in the right direction, for example with the questions I have found tying
to install.

I suppose (hope) that there is some other people willing to help, like I do,
but maybe they have also found themselves in a similar situation, not
knowing wich way to go. All I can say is that I encourage everyone to try to
help with this, help is really needed, I think it isn't as hard as it may
seem, you only need patience, if you try to compile on a 486 lots and lots
of them X-))) (I did it only once, one hole night compiling) now I use a
PIII ;-)

Well, let's see if someone tells me something to do and the way it must be
done so that I can help :-)

Regards...
--
Manty/BestiaTester -> http://manty.net