Re: debian 2.3

On Fri, Apr 13, 2001 at 07:15:35PM -0600, Dwayne C. Litzenberger wrote:

> > It is not currently planned, for boot-floppies 2.3.x anyhow, to move to the
> > 2.4 kernels.
>
> Really?  If the release is not going to be until the summer, I would think it
> to be really unwise to use Kernel 2.2, since it should be mature by then, and
> every other distro will be using it ("Debian is obsolete, again, as usual.").

It's this or "Debian jumps the gun."

> There are 2.2 patches for ReiserFS.  Why GRUB?

Because GRUB is more modern, more flexible (by virtue of being able to boot from ReiserFS and ext2, because it understands filesystems.) and also a little bit more pretty: it can provide a graphical (Well, about as graphical as you get with console) menu on startup, which allows you to select from a list of boot scripts defined in /boot/grub/menu.lst, so you can have several kernels or sets of kernel arguments predefined for easy selection at startup, or dual boot with some other operating system..