Re: debian 2.3

> > > I was just wondering, will the next Debian release (2.3?) be based on
> > > kernel 2.4?
>
> It is not currently planned, for boot-floppies 2.3.x anyhow, to move to the
> 2.4 kernels.

Really?  If the release is not going to be until the summer, I would think it
to be really unwise to use Kernel 2.2, since it should be mature by then, and
every other distro will be using it ("Debian is obsolete, again, as usual.").

> > > If so, will the installation program support reiserfs, a parted
> > > frontend, will it support reiserfs as a default install method,
>
> Well, absolutely not the default, but it's a possible option.  If we go with
> grub, I think that doesn't get along with ReiserFS.  Is it necessary to use
> kernel 2.4.x if you want ReiserFS?

There are 2.2 patches for ReiserFS.  Why GRUB?

> > > parted to split up FAT partitions,
>
> I would really like to see how we can work in parted.  I don't know that
> that would fit though.

Fit?  I thought there was going to be a graphical install.

> > > and possibly a game or two to play while it installs?
>
> No, sorry, I don't think so...

See previous response.

> > > If not, I am willing to help making this a reality, but I need some help
> > > getting started (is there a web page about the current status, goals,
> > > etc of boot-floppies?)
>
> No web page -- we use CVS source area for all this.  The todo file is a good
> place to go.
>
> To check sources from CVS, see
> <URL:http://cvs.debian.org/boot-floppies/README-CVS?rev=1.9&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup&only_with_tag=MAIN&cvsroot=debian-boot>

Maybe I should be looking at the debian-installation section?

--
Dwayne C. Litzenberger - dlitz@dlitz.net