Re: debian 2.3

On Fri, Apr 13, 2001 at 05:28:22PM -0700, Sam Powers wrote:

> > Well, absolutely not the default, but it's a possible option.  If we
> > go with grub, I think that doesn't get along with ReiserFS.  Is it
> > necessary to use kernel 2.4.x if you want ReiserFS?
>
> GRUB groks reiserfs.. but I think a reiserfs root should be very
> discouraged. It's only like 100mb for me usually, it doesn't take long
> to fsck at all. ReiserFS has the speed where it counts.

i dunno. i use 100% reiserfs. but i guess i could be what is called
``daring''

as far as that goes, i can commit my ReiserFS additions to debootstrap
at any time. since i cannot get a boot disk to build, i have been
hesitant to actually make the commits.

> Are ReiserFS folks keeping the 2.2 series up to date as well as 2.4?

i dunno. i have not seen the reiserfs patch for the 2.2.19 kernel in
Debian yet (it is on the namesys.com site though)

> For what it's worth, on i386, GRUB should DEFINATLY be used over lilo.
> It's like 20 times cooler. And all the trendy distros are doing it >;)

<AOL/>

-john