Re: installing core udebs

On Fri Mar 02, 2001 at 10:47:33PM -0800, David Whedon wrote:
> > b.t.w are we going to use uClibc or glibc for installer modules ?
>
> I don't think a decision has been made, though we haven't put together much of a
> framework for using uClibc.  It would be interesting to see how much more we
> could fit on the floppy if we used uclibc.

Right now, uClibc doesn't support all of Debian's archs.  sparc is in progress.
Not started are alpha, and powerpc.  Getting these ports done shouldn't be too
hard (it only takes a few files, most of which I can steal and adjust from
glibc).  The size savings are substantial.  Using uClibc as a shared library
(btw, it works as a shared library) it is only about 170k (without doing any
library reduction -- using mklibs.sh could reduce that quite a bit further).

 -Erik

--
Erik B. Andersen   email:  andersee@debian.org, andersen@lineo.com