Re: installing core udebs

> > or make it Depends: particular_libc_reduced | libc
> >
> > though udpkg doesn't do '|', right?
> >

> hmm, im not sure, but i think this type of aproach could be the best
> solution to sorting out when we move to using a full libc.
>
> I was also wondering about the reduced libc, would it be possible to
> store the excluded libc parts (stuff thats not needed by the installer),
> fetch it and combine it with the reduced lib to provide the original
> full libc again ?

I don't see that we gain much by that.  To do it we'd need need some binutils,
probably objcopy, ar, objdump.  We'd not be saving much network traffic (that is
the good thing, right?) perhaps a megabyte and adding to the complexity.

How about this plan, this keeps it fairly simple.  We have 2 reduced libc
versions. 1 version will actually exists in a lot of forms because it will be
generated for the specific requirements of a given install medium.  The second
version will include all the symbols needed for _every_ available udeb.

Remeber that the installer isn't supposed to be alive for very long.  Once the
network is up we'll be calling debootstrap fairly soon.

-David