Re: stuff I can work on - Woody branch

On Sun, Feb 25, 2001 at 11:36:00AM +0100, Andreas Fuchs wrote:
> On 2001-02-24, Bruce Perens <bruce@perens.com> wrote:
> >> - eliminate lilo configuration ?
> >> - go with grub ?
> > Does GRUB work with Reiser FS yet? LILO should, because of its design.
>
> ,----[ /usr/share/doc/grub/changelog.Debian.gz ]
> | grub (0.5.95) unstable; urgency=low
> |
> |   * ReiserFS support from Jochen Hoenicke.
> `----
>
> So, at least in sid, it does.

The cvs version (0.5.97 --- the next one should be 1.0) is stable enough,
and GRUB handle symbolic in ReiserFS too.

>The bigger problem would be raid support,
> and non-x86 architectures, AFAIK. Also, Grub is a space hog, see the
> list archives for further info on that (there was a discussion on this
> topic a couple of days ago).

I have made some test, and we can reduce GRUB size to 60 Ko, keeping the
ability to let the GRUB self-installable (once the appropriate files are
installable).

IMHO, we should go the GRUB way, since when the debian-installer is
officially used, GRUB will be "smaller".
--
Thierry LARONDE, Centre de Ressources Informatiques, Archamps - France
http://www.cri74.org