Re: dpkg, udpkg and busybox

> > It will be much easier to maintain if it can be used outside the
> > installer.
> >
> > What size are you prepared to pay if any for full support, if i could
> > get it down to 1 KB difference would that be ok ?
>
> How about make it selectable at compile time via BB_FEATURE_FULL_DPKG
> or some such?  That way we can disable it to save space if needed.

woah woah woah....

if you want full dpkg support, use dpkg. all the dependency checking and
stuff is *HARD* and we don't want to fork another dpkg implementation
into busybox. udpkg has very specific and limited goals. I've tried to
document some of these in the design doc in the source. It is *only*
supposed to work within the prescribed limitations; it is not meant to
be a replacement for dpkg at all.

The size goal for udpkg was around 8k. I think we should keep that goal
in mind.

the whole idea of the udebs is to bootstrap the system into a usable
state ASAP. Once you have access to one of the retrievers you can get a
real dpkg.deb and install/use that...

randolph
--
Debian Developer <tausq@debian.org>