RE: Problem with SCSI adapters

Hi Jim,

take a look at the customized boot disks by Kevin Trass (http://www.merilus.com/~kevin/aacraid.html) and Mr. Nokubi (http://www.eal.or.jp/~nokubi/aacraid-disk/).

They might work for you. I haven't been able to install 2.2rev2 on a DELL PowerEdge 4400 with a PERC2 4-channel RAID adapter because either set of bootdisks crashes with a kernel panic when trying to do a "mkfs" on the newly partitioned RAID5 container.

My situation is comparable to yours. I reverted to RedHat due to my inability to install Debian on the 4400. Unfortunately, I was also not successful in creating my own boot disks so that I rely on someone putting the drivers in the boot images.

As far as I know, my PERC2 needs the aacraid driver from Adaptec. Older PERC controller and, IMHO, the PERC-2DC models are based on an AMI Megatrends chipset and therefore require the megaraid driver.

A possible cause for the crash might be the onboard AIC7899 and AIC7880 controllers where only the latter is used for a SCSI CD-ROM in my system.

I can forward you a bunch of emails about this problem if you want.

Stefan