Booting a Compaq Armada E500: pcmcia support?

Hello,

I was trying to start the compact potato disks to install debian from
the net on a Compaq Armada E500. The ethernet adapter is installed in
the pcmcia slot. From the documentation I understand I should be able
to use the pcmcia using only the "rescue" and "root" disk images of
the compact disk set. After succesfully mounting the swap and root
partitions I try to activate the pcmcia via "Configuring PCMCIA support",
select i82365 without arguments (which works under my previous RedHat
setup) and am greeted with a "An error encountered while trying etc."
message.

Anybody tried this too? Do I need some other boot image?

Bye,
Edwin

wisse@nlr.nl                                 N 52 40'31.7" E 5 55'36.4"