Re: gzip or bzip2 on boot floppies??

Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> writes:

> Vaidhyanathan Mayilrangam wrote:
> > I wonder if we would be having bzip2 or gzip on the boot
> > floppies.. All the network modules compiled takes about 1.3M, but
> > compresssed with bzip2 , needs only 435K.. The size of bzip2 +
> > libbz2.so is about 85K.. We can probably do the same with the
> > initrd image.. That can save us quite some space..  I would
> > appreciate your inputs..
>
> This sounds like a good idea. The initrd will probably be gzipped
> already though, so we may not need to compress the modules twice.

I advise caution towards the use of bzip2.  It is known for rather
intensive memory consumption, and I think required memory grows in
some sort of O(n^2) way.  Therefore, it may not be usable for
low-memory installations, such as old hardware or embedded systems
installation.  This is why we do not use it for boot-floppies.

I would suggest you defined what your targetted minimum RAM
requirements are.