Re: woody, boot-floppies, and debian-installer projected readiness

On Wed, Oct 18, 2000 at 02:25:11PM +1100, Glenn McGrath wrote:
> Joey Hess wrote:
>
> > * modules to set up network, partition hard disk, download modules, set
> >   up swap, format the disk, install the base system, and set up lilo are
> <insert grubworship statment here>

Agreed :)

> Ive had a look at partitioning with parted, i made a small program that
> showed partition and drive details, and chopped up libparted manually to
> only include functions needed, and that was relatively only 20 KB or so,
> but when i started adding extra functionality from libparted to add and
> remove partitions it started getting heaps bigger and more complex.
>
> I tried using mklibs on libparted but it only reduced it by 30KB (was
> still over 200KB if i remember correctly), maybe i wasnt using mklibs.sh
> properly, or libparted was a proper PIC file or something... how do you
> make a PIC file anyway, is it something to do with ther -fPIC compiler
> option, or is it more than that ?

Why don't you try statically linking with libparted.a? This will pull only
the object files from the lib that you actually use funtions from in the
program ... just specify the libparted.a file after your .o files ...
(no need for -lparted in this case).

libparted's .so is compiled with -fPIC -DPIC, but the static lib (.a)
is compiled without.

> Anyway, i think we would be best of using the libfdisk that is currently
> used, if we want to support resizing of partitions, reiserfs, lvm, raid
> and other cool stuff then that can be provided by seperate binaries (or
> installer modules).
>
> I was hoping libparted might be an easy all in one solution, but its too
> big without being split up, and it didnt come apart as nicely for me,
> plus its only said to work on a few archs anyway.

True, it supposedly only supports ix86/pc98 partition tables, but the
1.4 prereleases are out at the moment and also support mac partition
tables. Also, I am looking at writing some code to support *BSD disklabels
(not that this really helps anything ...).

Timshel

--
   Timshel Knoll <timshel@pobox.com>  for Debian email: <timshel@debian.org>
    Second year Computer Science, RMIT   |   CS108 Tutor (Semester 2, 2000)