Re: raid support in install cds

On Fri, Sep 29, 2000 at 12:55:47PM +0200 , Robert Varga wrote:
> - is there an easy way to create an installer cd with a kernel
> containing the 0.90 raid patches and the necessary files from raidtools2
> included?

custom kernel and if you find enough space on root.bin, then ....

> - is there a way to replace the kernel which is going to be installed by
> the installer (to one containing raid0.90 patches and raid1 compiled into
> the kernel)?

yup

> - is there a way to manually carry out everything the installer does when
> I mount a filesystem in the menu?

yup. Alt-F2 or "Run Shell" from the menu

> If this is possible then could you please tell me how to do it, or give
> me an url at which I can find information regarding how to do it?

boot-floppies package

> All it is needed to install debian directly onto root-raid with manual
> help is this, since creating the raid arrays can be carried out manually,
> and fstab and lilo.conf can be modified manually as well.

The quick way is to replace linux on the boot-floppy with your patched one.
Find a root.bin, gunzip it, mount, copy the necessary binaries, umount, gzip
and when booting use this patched root.bin  (I think dd onto a floppy or
initrd is OK).

				Petr Cech
--
Debian GNU/Linux maintainer - www.debian.{org,cz}