Re: raid support in install cds

On 29 Sep 2000, Adam Di Carlo wrote:

> We do support some hardware raid devices.
> For the software raid root support you mention, that reuqires some pretty
> serious changes and cannot happen in potato updates.  This is an issue
> for the woody installer.
> --
> .....Adam Di Carlo....adam@onShore.com.....<URL:http://www.onShore.com/>

Is it possible to carry out the changes I mentioned manually, without
needing to change the installer source, namely:

- is there an easy way to create an installer cd with a kernel
containing the 0.90 raid patches and the necessary files from raidtools2

- is there a way to replace the kernel which is going to be installed by
the installer (to one containing raid0.90 patches and raid1 compiled into
the kernel)?

- is there a way to manually carry out everything the installer does when
I mount a filesystem in the menu?

If this is possible then could you please tell me how to do it, or give
me an url at which I can find information regarding how to do it?

All it is needed to install debian directly onto root-raid with manual
help is this, since creating the raid arrays can be carried out manually,
and fstab and lilo.conf can be modified manually as well.

Robert Varga