Re: &mdash in boot-floppies/documentation

On Sat, Sep 23, 2000 at 03:50:37PM +0200, Van Buggenhaut wrote:
> There's an apparently new variable introduced in recent versions of canonical
> files, it's — I'm desperately trying to find out what it refers to. Has
> the french translation of it been included. Can anyone help ?
It refers to a dash of length of the letter `m'. :)  A long dash.  There is
also ndash and, I believe, others.

> Also where are the lists of the other "variables" and their related local
> translations ?
The file you are looking for is /usr/lib/sgml/entities/ISOpub.

The idea behind mdash is that in different cases you may need different
constructions to show appropriate symbols.  Two good examples come to my mind:
HTML and TeX.

Hope this helps,

--
Misha