Re: Promise Ultra 100 Controller

Goswin Brederlow wrote:

> Hahnheiser@t-online.de (Hahnheiser) writes:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I can't install Debian potato on a harddisk which is on a Promise Ultra 100
> > UDMA controller. The trader told me, that controller would be the same like the
> > Promise Ultra 66. I used the rescue- and bootdisk in the udma66-directory making
> > by rawrite2. My harddisk is an IBM DTLA-307030, Gigabyte-board GA-586SG,
> > Biosrev. 1.14.
>
> I think you need a 2.3.x or 2.4.0-test kernel with support for PROMISE
> ide, 2.2.x doesn't have any support at all for it.
>
> MfG
>         Goswin

The udma66 floppies worked with my two IBM-DPTA-372050 under a Promise
Ultra 66.

I dont suppose there is any way to "downgrade" your 100 to a 66, i
remember seing a bios patch to upgrade a 66 to a 100, i didnt try it
though as id heard of people having problems.

So does the kernel just totally fail to detect the controller, or does
it lockup or what ?

Glenn